• TICKET

Beykoz Mecidiye Pavilions

Beykoz Mecidiye Pavilion, which was built before the Dolmabahçe and Beylerbeyi palaces during the Ottoman period, is one of the oldest buildings in İstanbul.


The pavilion is located at Hünkar İskelesi in Beykoz on the Asian side of the Bosphorus. It’s the first masonry building constructed in the new style on the shores of the Bosphorus. 


Construction of the pavilion began in 1845 by the Governor of Egypt, Kavalalı Mehmed Ali Pasha to be used by Sultan Abdülmecid and upon his death it was completed in 1854 by his son Said Pasha and presented to the sultan. 


The building, also known as the Mecidiye Pavilion, is dedicated to Sultan Abdülmecid, and it is located at the top of the wooded park with a landscaping arrangement rising from the sea in terraces.


In its early years it was used by the sultan as a riding lodge for short excursions, but in later times it was used for receiving state dignitaries and ambassadors. 

 

Architectural Features of Beykoz Mecidiye Pavilion

The pavilion is a beautiful example of the 19th century interpretation of the serdab kiosk tradition of earlier Ottoman architecture. On the façade of the building, stones imported from Italy and domestic white marble were used.


The two-storeyed, timber framed building has a symmetrical plan and a neo-classical façade. Photographs of the pavilion taken during the reign of Sultan Abdülhamid II reveal its rich decoration with gilded furniture, upholsteries and curtains of Hereke fabrics, Baccarat vases and big crystal chandeliers. The inside of the pavilion has been decorated with valuable colored porphyry. 


Even though they have not survived to the present day, we learn from the archives that in Beykoz Mecidiye Pavilion, there were additional rooms and service areas, such as kitchens, a thermal hamam, a small kiosk, water reservoir, conservatory, poultry house, aviary and dovecote for servants and officials of the sultan.

 

Historic Events in Beykoz Mecidiye Pavilion

Although Beykoz Mecidiye Pavilion was built as a gift for Sultan Abdülmecid, the sultan was indifferent to this pavilion because it was a reminder of the “Egyptian Question” in Ottoman history which created great distress to the state. During the Crimean War (1853-1856), zeybeks who were among the most distinguished volunteer soldiers from İzmir and Aydın came to İstanbul to join the army and before they were sent to the frontline they gathered in the military camp established on Beykoz Meadow and the leading efes (soldiers) stayed in Beykoz Mecidiye Pavilion. 


Prince Jerome Napoléon, who participated in the Crimean War, visited İstanbul and Sultan Abdülmecid in the summer of 1854. He was the son of Napoleon I’s brother Jerome who stayed in Beykoz Mecidiye Pavilion during his second visit to İstanbul and Sultan Abdülaziz visited the prince here. 


Sultan Abdülaziz frequently used the pavilion during the summer months as a retreat. During his stays he watched the Bosphorus, organized wrestling competitions on Beykoz Meadow and hunted in the hunting grounds of Tokat Village. 


On Saturday, October 15, 1869, Sultan Abdülaziz held a sumptuous bonquet in Beykoz Mecidiye Pavilion in honor of the French empress Eugénie during her visit to İstanbul and together they watched the procession of the army. On that day the people of İstanbul came to Beykoz by land and sea to see the great historical ceremony. Soldiers were arranged on the main roads equipped with Turkish and French flags; for this purpose, an ornate pavilion in Arab style was constructed in the meadow. The center of the pavilion was reserved for the sultan and his guests, and right and left sides were reserved for state officials and ambassadors. The sultan and his guest came to the pavilion in a royal coach drawn by six horses. 


During the early part of his reign Sultan Reşad held a spring feast on 21 May 1910 at Beykoz Mecidiye Pavilion gardens for the Chairman of the Parliament (Meclis-i Meb’ûsan) Ahmed Rızâ Bey, deputies, members of the Assembly (Âyân Meclis) and government officials. 


 

Later Functions of Beykoz Mecidiye Pavilion and Its Opening as a Museum

This imperial building was used by the Ottoman sultans and their guests from time to time, beginning with the reign of Sultan Abdülaziz. It was later used to house public institutions because of its location outside the city and clean air. First it was used as an orphanage (Dârü’l-eytâm). In 1920s it was used for trachoma patients and in 1953 it became a preventorium. In 1963 the preventorium was closed and the pavilion was converted into Beykoz Children’s Chest Diseases Hospital. 


Beykoz Mecidiye Pavilion was placed under the auspices of National Palaces Department on 23 December 1997. The restoration which started in 2010 was completed in 2016 and on 11 April 2017 it was opened to public as a museum.

CONTACT INFORMATION

  • Telephone : 0 (216) 424 16 38
  • Fax : 0 (212) 259 32 92
  • Email : info@millisaraylar.gov.tr
  • Address :

    Gazi Yunus Sk. No:51 Yalıköy/Beykoz

VISITING INFORMATION

  • Closed Days : Pazartesi
  • Opening Hour of Ticket Offices : 9:00 AM
  • Closing Hour of Ticket Offices : 5:00 PM

OPEN AND CLOSED DAYS TO VISIT ON PUBLIC HOLIDAYS AND RELIGIOUS HOLIDAYS

  • New Year’s Day : Closed to Visitors
  • National Sovereignty and Children’s Day : Open to Visitors
  • Labor and Solidarity Day : Open to Visitors
  • 1st Day Of The Ramadan Bairam : Closed to Visitors
  • 2nd Day Of The Ramadan Bairam : Open to Visitors
  • 3rd Day Of The Ramadan Bairam : Open to Visitors
  • The Commemoration of Atatürk, Youth and Sports Day : Open to Visitors
  • Democracy And National Unity Day : Open to Visitors
  • 1st Day Of The Feast Of Sacrifice : Closed to Visitors
  • 2nd Day Of The Feast Of Sacrifice : Open to Visitors
  • 3rd Day Of The Feast Of Sacrifice : Open to Visitors
  • 4th Day Of The Feast Of Sacrifice : Open to Visitors
  • Victory Day : Open to Visitors
  • Republic Day : Open to Visitors

TICKET PRICES

Beykoz Mecidiye Pavilion

Ticket Price For Domestic Visitors:
40   TL
Ticket Price For Foreign Visitors:
130  TL
Discount Ticket Price:
 20  TL
Ticket Price Gardens:
 20  TL
  • Museum Card is valid in the palaces, kiosks, pavillions,museums, historical factories affiliated to the Presidency of National Palaces with the exceptions below:
    • Museum Card is not valid in Topkapı Palace Harem and Hagia Irene sections, Dolmabahçe Selamlık section, Beykoz Glass and Crystal Museum, Küçüksu Pavillion Picnic area.
    • Discounted Selamlık ticket service is offered for the local Museum Card holders who want to visit the Selamlık section of Dolmabahçe Palace.
  • Discounted Selamlık ticket service is offered for the local Museum Card holders who want to visit the Selamlık section of Dolmabahçe Palace.
    • Topkapı Palace Combined Tickets are valid for 1 day from the date of purchase.
    • Dolmabahçe Palace Combined Tickets are valid for 1 month from the date of purchase. This period is valid for use in different places. The same place can be visited once only in that month.
  • Palaces, Kiosks, Pavillions, Museums and Historical Factories are free for domestic- foreign visitors aged 0-6.
  • Discounted ticket service is offered for the students between the ages of 07-25 who present their student ID card.
    • Topkapı Palace is free for TR and TRNC citizens under the age of 18. Discounted ticket service is offered at Topkapı Palace for TR and TRNC citizens between 18-25 years. (25 Included)
    • Foreign students pay twice the price of the discounted ticket.
    • Foreign students aged 12-25 are requested to present their International Student Identity Card (ISIC: International Student Identity Card) concretely.
  • National Palaces Glass and Crystal Museum is free for domestic-foreign visitors under the age of 12.
  • 20% Discount is applied to the tour companies that bring 20 or more visitors to the palaces, kiosks, pavillions,museums, historical factories affiliated to the Presidency of National Palaces.
  • Thematic Tours are held with 3 or more full fare ticket.

LOCATION INFORMATION



PICTURE GALLERY