Maslak Pavilions were built by the order of Sultan Abdülaziz in 1860s and allocated by him to his nephew Crown Prince Abdülhamid Efendi in 1868. The name of the pavilions came from water distribution reservoirs in the district which supplied water to the city and called “Maslak”. These pavilions became home to the 34th Ottoman ruler Sultan Abdülhamid II and his family during both his years as heir apparent and his reign.
Crown Prince Abdülhamid Efendi occupied himself with agriculture, horse and stock breeding there, enlarged the farmland by buying surrounding fields and was called to ascend the throne in 1876 at this big farm called Maslak Imperial Farm during his reign. Memoirs reveal that the crown prince lived a modest life with his family and children at Maslak Farm, developed close relationships with public, taught music to his children, wrote poems, created musical compositions and spent much time in his carpentry workshop.
The pavilions were used as military preventorium in Republican era between the years 1937 and 1982, underwent restoration in 1984 and are now open to public as a museum-house under the management of the Directorate of National Palaces.
The architectural design of the pavilions is of the traditional Turkish house plan type. The area is approximately 170 thousand square meters. The Maslak Pavilions complex consists of the Imperial Pavilion used as the Harem, the Imperial Apartments used for receptions, the Seyir Kiosk used for watching horse training, a pool, the Aghas’ Quarters, Turkish Bath, the Greenhouse, the greenhouse furnace room, a room for the aviary keeper and gardener, a water reservoir, guardroom, telegraph room, stable block and kitchen; its big garden with various plants and its greenhouse with rare tropical plants.