Yıldız Palace

Closed to visit due to restoration


The Chalet Pavilion at Yıldız Palace takes its name from the French chalet, meaning a Swiss-style mountain cottage. This building is one of the most unusual examples of 19th century Ottoman architecture. The pavilion is set inside a garden enclosed by high walls and consists of three adjoining sections built at different times. 

The first section was built in 1880 and the second, designed by Sarkis Balyan, was added as an extension in 1889 to provide additional bedrooms and reception rooms. The third section, known as the Ceremonial Pavilion, was designed by the Italian architect D’Aronco and completed in 1898. The latter two sections were built as a residence for the German emperor Wilhelm II during his state visits to Istanbul, and afterwards the Chalet Pavilion continued to serve as a state guest house at Yıldız Palace. 

The building consists of two main storeys and a basement built of wood and masonry. Unlike traditional Ottoman dwellings, it is not divided into a harem and selamlık. There are seven exterior doors and the windows have wooden shutters. Two elegant staircases, one of marble the other of wood, link the two main storeys.

The most impressive room in the pavilion is the magnificent Ceremonial Salon, with a single wall-to-wall Hereke carpet measuring approximately 406 m2 covering the floor and a ceiling of gilded panels. Sultan Abdülhamid II is known to have held ceremonies here on religious holidays. The dining room is known as the Mother-of-Pearl Room after the doors inlaid with mother-of-pearl that were brought here from Çırağan Palace. This is the only room reflecting Ottoman tastes in the building, which is otherwise furnished predominantly according to European fashions. A notable feature of the Chalet is the large tiled stoves made by the Swedish Rörstrand company.

In the early years of the Turkish Republic the building was used for social events by Istanbul Municipality, before being taken over by the Department of National Palaces. In 1933 the Balkan Conference was held here and between 1956 and 1976 it was used as accommodation for state guests, including Shah Rıza Pehlevi of Iran, President Iskander Mirza of Pakistan, President Habib Burgiba of Tunisia, King Faisal of Saudi Arabia, King Hussein of Jordan, President Sukarno of Indonesia, King Haile Selassie of Ethiopia and President Charles de Gaulle of France. The pavilion became a museum-palace on 5 July 1985.

The royal stables and manége buildings at Yıldız Palace have now been restored and converted for new functions; one being the Classical Turkish Arts Centre, which provides courses in traditional arts.


  • Telephone : 0 (212) 259 45 70
  • Fax : 0 (212) 259 32 92
  • Email : info@millisaraylar.gov.tr
  • Address :

    Yıldız Mah. Palanga Cad. No:57 Beşiktaş/İstanbul


  • Closed Days : Pazartesi
  • Opening Hour of Ticket Offices : 09:00:00
  • Closing Hour of Ticket Offices : 17:00:00


  • New Year’s Day : Closed to Visitors
  • National Sovereignty and Children’s Day : Closed to Visitors
  • Labor and Solidarity Day : Closed to Visitors
  • 1st Day Of The Ramadan Bairam : Closed to Visitors
  • 2nd Day Of The Ramadan Bairam : Closed to Visitors
  • 3rd Day Of The Ramadan Bairam : Closed to Visitors
  • The Commemoration of Atatürk, Youth and Sports Day : Closed to Visitors
  • Democracy And National Unity Day : Closed to Visitors
  • 1st Day Of The Feast Of Sacrifice : Closed to Visitors
  • 2nd Day Of The Feast Of Sacrifice : Closed to Visitors
  • 3rd Day Of The Feast Of Sacrifice : Closed to Visitors
  • 4th Day Of The Feast Of Sacrifice : Closed to Visitors
  • Victory Day : Closed to Visitors
  • Republic Day : Closed to Visitors