FLORYA ATATÜRK MARINE MANSION

FLORYA ATATÜRK MARINE MANSION


According to historical documents, Florya coast was full of nice villages in 17th century within its border to Yeşilköy, known as Ayastefanos at the time. Kalatarya district with its oftenly visited church and holy spring and also Imperial Filurya Garden was close to the area. It’s understood from the phrase seen in 18th century documents as “Filoriye garden with its fresh water and Sultan’s palace inside...” there was an Otoman settlement in the area. Florya and its environs were mostly fishing areas in 19th century and previously. In the late Ottoman Empire urban development began there along with the construction of railway lines and it gained extra importance with the interest of Atatürk in the early Republican period. An area of 230 hectares were afforested and Florya became a summer resort in time. İstanbul Municipality organized a competition for a mansion project in 1935 which planned to have been built in Florya coast where Atatürk used to go for resting. It’s thought to be helpful for his recovery to stay there. The awarded project designed by architect Seyfi Arkan was in Bauhaus style that was common in European architecture of the period. The building complex designed as a relaxing place consists of Atatürk Mansion, General Secretariat Building and Aides’ Building. There was also the White, Blue and Red pavilions then, but they don’t exist now. The construction was finished in August 14, 1935. Atatürk didn’t use the mansion just for resting but occasionally managed the affairs of state while he was in İstanbul, held political and scientific conferences and hosted many important guests there among whom were King Edward III of England and Mrs. Simpson. He stayed there for the last time in May 28, 1938. After his death it was used as a Presidential summer residence by İsmet İnönü, Celal Bayar, Cemal Gürsel, Cevdet Sunay, Fahri Korutürk and Kenan Evren. The Presidency assigned its management to TBMM, Head Department of National Palaces in September 16, 1988 and it was opened to public as “Atatürk Museum” at 1993 after being restored. It was erected on steel piles driven into the sea bottom and linked to the mainland by a bridge of 90 meters in length. The one-storeyed building has a modest facade design and seems like a floating boat. The tower situated on the north entrance facade is in the geometrical and aesthetic form of modern architecture. The perpendicular part to the shore consists of service and staff rooms, bathrooms and toilets. Atatürk’s study room, bathroom and bedroom are on its east side. The walnut and bird’s eye veneered bookcase, tape player in Artdeco style, furnitures like the armchair with spring balance function and lighting fittings are compatible with mansion’s modest, modern and original architectural design.

 

All Palaces and Pavilions
AYNALIKAVAK PAVILION
BEYKOZ PAVILION
BEYLERBEYI PALACE
DOLMABAHÇE PALACE
FLORYA ATATÜRK MARINE MANSION
IHLAMUR PAVILIONS
KÜÇÜKSU PAVILION
MASLAK PAVILIONS
YALOVA ATATÜRK MANSION
YILDIZ PALACE - CHALET
 
 
 
 
 
Adres: TBMM Genel Sekreterliği (Milli Saraylar), Dolmabahçe Sarayı - Beşiktaş / İSTANBUL Tel: 212 236 90 00 - Faks 212 227 66 73