AYNALIKAVAK PAVILION

AYNALIKAVAK PAVILION


The building, which has been decorating the coast of the Golden Horn since 17th century and which is today known as Aynalikavak Pavilion, is the only remaining sample from the group of buildings known as “Aynalikavak Palace” or “Tersane Palace” during the Ottoman Period. The historical references reveals that the territory was also a resting place belonging to emperors during the Byzantine period. This big coppice, which attracted the interests of Ottoman sultans after the conquest of İstanbul by Fatih Sultan Mehmed (1444-1481), was started to be named as “Tersane Hasbahçe” owing to the Ottoman Shipyard constructed at the territory. The earliest buildings on the territory date back to the reign of Fatih Sultan Mehmed and the first pavilion, which is certainly known to be constructed, dates to the reign of Sultan Ahmed I (1603-1617). This group of buildings, which has developed with the pavilions constructed by sultans in the course of historical process and which was also called as “Tersane Palace”; has been named as “Aynalikavak Palace” beginning from the 17th century. Aynakilavak Pavilion, which takes place within the body of palace and which is estimated to be constructed during the reign of Sultan Ahmed III (1703-1730) underwent an extensive restoration process during the reign of Sultan Selim III (1789-1807) and was rearranged and gained its today’s appearance. Aynalikavak Pavilion, the only remaining building from the earlier periods among the National Palaces which mainly consist of palaces, kiosks and pavilions of 19th century is extremely privileged with its traditional architecture and decoration features. On a frieze around the top of the windows of Divanhane and of Composition Room, the verses of the famous poets of the term, Şeyh Galib and Enderûni Fâzıl, praising the Pavilion and Selim III, were inscribed by the calligrapher Mehmed Esad El Yesari in talik script. The pavilion which is one of the last and outstanding buildings of classical Ottoman Structure with its two storey body ? facing the sea and one storey body facing the land, also reflects the taste of its age in terms of decoration and it incorporates many elements of the culture of the period of the composer Sultan Selim III. As characteristics of the period, Its top windows covered with revzens, its roofs with large eaves, fitted sedirs within the interior decoration, braziers which were the traditional way of heating, all demonstrate appearances of a past lifestyle which has disappeared today. The ground floor of Aynalilavak Pavilion, which was opened to visit on November 5th, 2010 upon completion of restoration and furnishing works, was refurnished as a museum in which historical Turkish musical instruments are exhibited in accordance with the artistic and musical personality of Sultan Selim III.

All Palaces and Pavilions
AYNALIKAVAK PAVILION
BEYKOZ PAVILION
BEYLERBEYI PALACE
DOLMABAHÇE PALACE
FLORYA ATATÜRK MARINE MANSION
IHLAMUR PAVILIONS
KÜÇÜKSU PAVILION
MASLAK PAVILIONS
YALOVA ATATÜRK MANSION
YILDIZ PALACE - CHALET
 
 
 
 
 
Adres: TBMM Genel Sekreterliği (Milli Saraylar), Dolmabahçe Sarayı - Beşiktaş / İSTANBUL Tel: 212 236 90 00 - Faks 212 227 66 73